Basic Concepts of Citizens’ Charter:
Good governance is essential for sustainable development, both economic and social. Three essential aspects of good governance are transparency, accountability and responsiveness of the administration. The Citizens’ Charters’ is an initiative to solve problems which Citizens, encounter, day in and day out, while delaying organizations providing public services. It is the expression of an understanding between citizens and the provider of a public service with respect to the quantity and quality of services the former receive in exchange for their taxes. It is essentially about the rights of the public and the obligations of the public servants.
As public services are funded by the citizens, either directly or indirectly through taxes, they have the right to expect a particular quality of service that is responsive to their needs and is provided efficiently at reasonable cost. The Citizens’ Charter is a written, voluntary declaration by service providers about service standards, accessibility, non discrimination, transparency and accountability. It should be accordance with expectations of citizens.
Objectives of Citizens’ Charter:
The concept of citizens’ charter enshrines the trust between the service provider & its users.
The objectives of the Citizens’ Charter are to
- Inform Citizens about services being provided by the ULBs with the time frame required for service provision.
- Improve the quality of the service provision.
- Provide Citizens with more choice,where ever possible.
- Inform people what kind of service to expect from ULBs and their responsibilities to facilitate effective provision of services.
- Make sure people know what to do if something goes wrong in the process of service delivery.
To ensure more effective and quicker services for the citizens; to make administrative transparent; to improve quality of services rendered and to develop friendly relation between the employees and citizens, The Board of Councilors in its meeting adopted a series of reformatory proposals with immediate effect. Some of the services rendered within a stipulated are in the contents to follow:-
- MUNICIPAL AUTHORITY NEEDS ACTIVE COOPERATION OF ALL ITS DWELLERS FOR RENDERING A BETTER AND SATISHFACTORY SERVICE.
- MUNICIPALITY IS BY THE TAX PAYERS, OF THE TAX PAYERS AND FOR THE TAX PAYERS.
- ALL ARE REQUESTED FOR THEIR ACTIVE COOPERATIONS IN RESPECT OF SERVICES MENTIONED HERE UNDER.